Do You Know How to Clean Up Fire Extinguisher Residue?
Home fires may be terrifying, whether they are caused by an overloaded extension cord or a kitchen flare-up. Quick-thinking homeowners, on the other hand, can efficiently deal with these unexpected emergencies. But, once the fire has been out and the household calms, how should the mess be cleaned up?
That depends on the fire extinguisher type. Every household fire extinguisher model is branded A, B, or C, indicating the types of fires it can put out. Ordinary combustibles such as wood, paper, and cloth are classified as A; flammable liquids such as gasoline or cooking oil are classified as B; and live electricity is classified as C. The label also reveals the “ingredients” that battle the fire within the canister.
Most models contain a dry chemical that smothers the fire’s fuel with an inert solid because of their adaptability. After the extinguisher has been discharged, the solid settles over the area. Read the label to figure out what the powdery substance is, then put on gloves and a dust mask and clean up according to these guidelines:
Sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate: Vacuum thoroughly to remove all visible residue, making repeated passes over the affected areas. To neutralize the PH of the powder, use hot water mixed with a little vinegar. Allow for a few minutes of rest before rinsing with warm water.
Silicone types: Vacuum the residue thoroughly, making several passes to ensure that all visible residue is removed. To break down the silicone, spray the area with rubbing alcohol. Allow the solution to soak in for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water.
Monoammonium phosphate: Do not vacuum the monoammonium phosphate residue. The residue must be cleaned by hand as soon as possible; otherwise, it may cause further harm to sensitive electronics and other equipment. To begin, wipe away the residue using a clean towel. Clean using a mixture of warm water and baking soda on surfaces that may be wet washed. As needed, thoroughly dry and sanitize the area.
What happens if your fire extinguisher emits water or carbon dioxide? Both methods of cleanup are reasonably simple, but these compounds are used in very few home models nowadays. After turning off the electricity to the area, mopping is the best method for removing water. Carbon monoxide makes a minor mess that may not require special cleanup.
Finally, because that discharged fire extinguisher is only valid for one usage, replace it right away! Cleaning up after a fire? Turn to SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa, which has the most up-to-date technology and personnel to make any disaster “Like it never even happened.”
My Washing Machine Caught Fire in my Santa Rosa Home! What Now?
In this Santa Rosa home a fire was started by an electrical malfunction in the washing machine.
Recently, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa performed a fire restoration job in Santa Rosa for a home affected by an electrical fire. The unthinkable happened as an explosion occurred due to faulty electrical wiring from a washing machine. After the initial assessment, it emerged the problem was down to an electrical fault, which meant the machine didn’t cut out when it had finished by instead grew dangerously overheated. Due to the severity of the explosion, the glass window resting behind the machine shattered, sending glass shards throughout the home. The fire-damaged washing machine was removed from the property. Nobody was injured during the incident, but the property sustained smoke damage throughout. The next phase of the job was thoroughly clean up the smoke and soot damage to the property.
Smoke damage is an essential step in the restoration process following a fire damage event. There are various ways to remove smoke residue, but getting the process started as quickly as possible will save you time and money.
What Strategies Does SERVPRO Use to Remove Smoke Residue?
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for removing soot and other dangerous residues from your home. The best methods differ based on the materials exposed, the location of the damage, and the thickness or severity of the residue. Clearing surfaces as quickly as possible is a key component of our SERVPRO team’s effective mitigation strategy. It allows us to avoid the need for extensive controlled demolition and to rebuild with the proper response to handle currently exposed materials. The following are some of the most effective residue strategies:
- Water-Based Chemical Solvents
- Abrasive Cleaning
- Soda/Media Blasting
- Controlled Demolition
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is slightly different, each requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your property. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke or Soot Damage? Call Us Today at (707) 588-8226
Emergency Water Shut-Off Is Everyone's Business
You don’t realize what’s going on until it’s too late. When you find water pooling behind a baseboard or showering down from the ceiling, your home has already been soaked by a water damage event. It simply takes a few minutes to stop the water and minimize the damage to your home. Do you know where your home’s water shutoff valve is? It’s one of those things that most homeowners overlook until they’re confronted with it for the first time. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for emergency water removal, but we want you to be ready to act quickly.
What is the function of an emergency shut-off valve?
An emergency shut-off valve is a valve that shuts off the water supply to your home. By turning the valve, you can stop the flow of water into your home, avoiding massive leaks from causing serious damage to your walls, floors, furniture, and other items.
Locating the water shut-off valve
Find the emergency master shutoff valves to turn off the water to the entire house. It could be in the basement, crawl space, utility closet, or even in a meter pit outside, depending on
Learn how to use the emergency water shut-off valve
If the main water shutoff valve has a round handle, you should normally crank it clockwise until it stops. Turn the lever handle a quarter until it stops. It’s a good idea to test your emergency shut-off valve once you’ve grown used to finding and using it in case of an emergency. This will not only guarantee that the valve is rotating properly, but it will also act as a reminder of where it is located and how to utilize it.
If you have a leak from an appliance or pipe, don’t panic! The best option is to turn off your entire home’s water supply and call us right away. Water crises, big or small, can be handled by SERVPRO 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. The severity of water damage might be considerably increased by even a few hours of delay. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa arrives swiftly and uses cutting-edge equipment and procedures to quickly dry the area. They carefully monitor and document the drying process to ensure that your property is completely dried.
Experienced Water Damage? Call Us Today at (707) 588-8226
Is Your Toilet Running? Better Go Catch It!
The toilet is one of those domestic things that we take for granted the most. We use it every day, and it typically works properly, but when it doesn’t, it throws your entire day into disarray. We’ve all had the experience of flushing and refilling the toilet, but it just won’t stop running. Not only is the running sound irritating, but it also wastes water and is bad for the toilet.
Before calling in a restoration company to guarantee your bathrooms are completely dried and deodorized after an overflow, there are numerous parts you can check. Here are five reasons why a toilet runs:
- The Flapper Chain: A common cause of a running toilet is the flapper change. The seal will not be able to close correctly if the chain is too long or short.
- The Toilet Handle: If the toilet handle does not push up immediately, the seal will stay up longer as well. A rusted or outdated handle usually causes this.
- The Overflow Valve: The overflow valve protects the toilet tank from overflowing. The valve will continue to supply water to the bowl even if it malfunctions. When the bowl becomes too full, it will flush automatically.
- The Fill Valve: The fill valve is less likely to leak than the above reasons, but don’t dismiss it because it could happen. The tank will not be able to tell when it is full because of this.
- The Flapper Seal: The most common cause of a running toilet is the flapper seal. The seal will not be able to halt the flow of water into the tank if it is rusted or does not fit properly.
If you have a toilet that won’t stop running, don’t wait for the problem to get bigger than you. Catching the problem early on can mean the difference between easy repair and expensive damage. If you do end up with an overflowing toilet, you can count on the experts at SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa to make it “Like it never even happened.” We’re available 24/7, 365 days a year, to answer your questions and help return your home to normalcy.
Flood Damage Cleanup in Santa Rosa Home
State-of-the-art equipment in action at a water loss job in Santa Rosa home.
Water Removal and Cleanup from Your Santa Rosa Home with Ease
Recently, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa was contacted directly by a homeowner in the city of Santa Rosa, about 55 miles north of San Francisco. We received the call that the unthinkable happened as the customer returned home for the day and was devastated to find flooding.
Locating the Source of Water Loss
Our project manager quickly arrived on-site to inspect the property and the water loss status, which was due to a water filter under the kitchen cabinet that had failed. It caused a domino effect inflicting damage to the first level of the home.
Controlled Demo Needed
Our techs had to demo the high ceiling, and there were additional bumps in the road as we attempted to remove insulation from the crawl space. Unfortunately on the first try, due to excess water and mud, we could not get it done immediately. This type of job required some additional equipment to dry the ground before continuing with the insulation removal. Another issue ensued as the flooring in the dining room was buckling and needed to be removed. Additionally, the carpet throughout the house showed signs of delamination and required removal. The technicians were delighted when on day 4, we were finally able to remove the insulation from the crawlspace.
Three technicians were dispatched to the site to start the water damage restoration process. Heavy water extraction was needed to extract water from all carpet areas. Content manipulation was performed from all affected rooms, and carpets were lifted to remove carpet pads and baseboards. Then our technicians set up the necessary water extraction equipment. This included dehumidifiers, air movers, an injector drying system for kitchen cabinets, and hardwood rescue mats to attempt to save the dining room floors. When SERVPRO technicians dry a home, they carefully position air movers to guide airflow into wet areas and speed up the drying process. While air movers cause embedded moisture to rise, dehumidification equipment catches it and transports it away, rapidly reducing moisture levels. This cycle reduces the risks of mold or musty odors developing because of the initial problem.
In the following days, following the removal and water removal and extraction process, our technicians monitored the equipment and the gradual drying process. Our professionals detected that the effected areas read dry when using moisture meters. This allowed our crew to pull and pack the equipment and leave the premises. Overall, we went above and beyond by working overtime to get the mitigation process under control.
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa at (707) 588-8336 brings our advanced equipment and skills to any size water cleanup need and makes the loss "Like it never even happened."
4 Water Damage Restoration Tips for Your Business
Commercial property owners may be confronted with water damage at any time. Business owners who understands how to deal with the aftermath of water damage, on the other hand, can cut losses, reduce stress, and minimize financial outlays. To make a future water damage occurrence less devastating, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa recommends taking the following key steps to minimize commercial water damage.
Contact Your Insurance Provider
After a water incident, it is critical to contact your insurance provider to locate a local water damage restoration company and get them on the scene as soon as possible. Whatever restoration company your claims adjuster suggests for restoring and renovating your business, remember that the restoration company works for you, not your insurance company. If you do not feel at ease with the company, get someone else to work for you.
Prepare By Documenting and Planning
- Take photographs. Do not hold your breath for the adjuster to arrive. Take pictures of the damage so that you do not have to see it for the first time when you meet with the adjuster and the water restoration company for a walk-through. You will have more confidence and be better prepared to identify and fix important areas of water damage.
- Systems involving electricity. Before entering your home, make sure all electrical and gas utilities are turned off.
Determine the Type of Water Damage That Has Occurred
Three categories of water determine the intensity of the water damage. The type of water can be influenced not only by the water source but also by how long it has been stagnant and what materials are present in your business (such as wood, carpet, laminate, and tile). The sooner water is discovered and dealt with; the less harm will be done.
- Clean Water Damage: The first type of water damage that might affect your home or business is clean water. It is clean or uncontaminated water from a piece of defective equipment or a damaged water line, as the name implies. Clean water damage, on the other hand, can swiftly deteriorate into more serious harm if not addressed quickly.
- Gray Water Damage: Water from a source that may include contaminants, such as a toilet without excrement, snow, rainfall, or even a dishwasher, falls into this second category of water damage. Mitigation of water damage demands immediate action and restoration.
- Black Water Damage: This third type of water damage is the most severe and can do the greatest damage to your property. Water from overflowing rivers, sewage, and groundwater are all examples. This may include pathogens that transport viruses, bacteria, and parasites, and it should be cleansed by a professional, certified water mitigation company. When black water strikes, keep in mind that some aspects of your property may be irreparably damaged.
Work With a Water Damage Restoration Company
Assess the damage with the help of a water damage restoration company. Water damage restoration experts will arrive swiftly to perform the best cleaning and sanitation measures possible, including emergency water extraction to prevent further damage. To remove the water, professionals employ dehumidifiers, extractors, air movers, and driers. They will figure out what kind of water damage there is, how extensive it is, what repairs are required, and how much it will cost to restore the property.
Water damage can directly impact your business and cause a lot of stress in your life. Following these guidelines can assist you in obtaining quick and safe solutions to your water damage situation, allowing you to return to normalcy as soon as possible.
For any water damage cleaning services, ranging from burst pipes to leaking roofs, contact SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa now. To prevent further damage, SERVPRO offers emergency water damage restoration services.
Preventing an Electrical House Fire
Electricity can be found everywhere in a home, from the corners of rooms to kitchen cupboards. As a result, there is a substantial risk of damage. Electrical fires can cause significant damage to your house and jeopardize the safety of your family. The good news is that electrical fires can frequently be avoided. By being vigilant and knowledgeable about preventing electrical fires, you may feel safe in your home, knowing that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent them entirely.
1. Ensure that all electrical outlets are securely attached to the wall. Begin by inspecting all your home's electrical outlets. As loose-fitting plugs can cause a shock or a fire hazard, make sure they are snug and secured to the wall.
- Replace any wall plates that are cracked or missing and cover any unused outlets with a new wall plate to prevent exposed electrical wiring.
2. Electrical plugs should not be tampered with. To fit a plug into a two-conductor outlet, the third prong should never be removed. It is also a good idea not to bend or twist the prongs on the plug, as this can cause an electrical hazard.
- Never try to force a plug into an outlet. Instead, slip the plug into and out the electrical plug by holding the covered top piece firmly. Pulling on the cord might wear it out and put you at risk of an electrical fire.
3. Surge protectors should be used. An electrical fire can be caused by overloading an outlet with too many plugs. Instead, get many surge protectors or power bars and install them in your home's electrical outlets. After then, only one to three cords should be plugged into the power bar at a time.
- Look for power bars that have internal overload protection. If the power bar becomes overloaded, the internal overload protection will shut down, averting an electrical fire.
4. Replace any electrical cords that are frayed or damaged. It would be best to inspect your electrical cords to make sure they are not frayed or broken. Replace them with new electrical cords if they are worn out. For a replacement cord, you may need to contact the appliance's manufacturer.
- Double-check that the electrical plug is attached correctly to the power cord. Any exposed wiring components on the plug or cord should be avoided.
5. Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis. Though using extension cords to extend the cords on your appliances or electronics may be appealing, they should only be used as a temporary solution. It is preferable if you do not use extension cords as your home's permanent electrical wiring. They can pose a serious electrical risk.
- If you must use extension cords, be sure they are equipped with safety closures. This will keep small children from being shocked by power cords.
6. Electrical cords should be kept away from carpets and water. Electrical cords should not be hidden under carpets, rugs, or furniture. If they fray and encounter carpet or furniture, they could cause a fire. It would be beneficial if electrical cords were put in low-traffic places where they would not be stepped on or interfered with any way.
- Keep any electrical cords away from water, as water can cause the cords to spark, resulting in an electrical fire.
- Do not attach or staple electrical cords to walls, floors, or other objects, as this can cause an electrical hazard by interfering with the electrical current.
Contact Us When You Need Help
When you contact SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa at (707) 588-8226, you can be confident that your house will be cleaned and repaired by our team of specialists. We are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you with a fire damage event.
Is Your Business Prepared for a Disaster?
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
Prepare an Emergency Readiness Plan for Your Cotati Business
A disaster can strike at anytime, anywhere; it waits for no one. That is why it is essential to have a plan for emergencies to protect your business. A disaster can be a devastating experience, so businesses should evaluate their plans and implement strategies to protect their commercial property, employees, and customers when a disaster strikes down the line.
How does disaster affect your business?
Following a disaster, as many as 50% of businesses close, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that can survive a disaster event, a vast majority had a preparedness plan ready. Pre-planning can not only provide peace of mind but also serve as a form of an insurance policy. Knowing that you are “Ready for whatever happens” speaks volumes by instilling trust with your employees and clients. When a disaster strikes, it does not necessarily mean your business has to be affected.
What is involved in an Emergency Readiness Plan?
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan is a tool for property managers and owners, both residential and commercial. It allows for the creation of an Emergency READY Profile. By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your home or business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate action plan. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your home or business.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile Advantage
Our SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile is a start-up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help gets you back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate action plan.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time, so we can begin mitigating the damage that can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having an easily accessible guide that effectively lays out solutions in the event of a disaster is essential to keeping your business afloat. If the unthinkable occurs, you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa is very experienced in disaster recovery and remediation. If you want to be properly prepared for an unexpected disaster, contact SERVPRO to learn more. We are faster to any disaster and can help you recover and get you back to business as usual! Call Us 24/7 at (707) 588-8226
Do's and Don'ts of California Wildfire Cleanup
Wildfire burning in California
California Wildfire Cleanup
Strong winds and low relative humidity in the past have caused wildfires to spread throughout California rapidly. Droughts along with high temperatures have caused dry conditions across fire-prone areas, further fueling the wildfires spread. While homes and businesses may not be destroyed during a wildfire’s uncontrolled spreading, there may still be significant damages suffered as a result.
Personal safety is a significant concern in the event of a wildfire. The first several days after the fire is controlled are critical to preventing irreversible smoke and soot damage. As soon as the local authorities confirm that it is safe to return to your home or business, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa offers the following dos and don’ts when facing wildfire damage to help minimize additional harmful effects.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into the upholstery.
- Keep hands clean as soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpet.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances with Vaseline or oil light coating.
- Wash house plants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over registers.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances, TV sets, radios, etc. that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not use any canned or packaged food or beverages that might have been stored near the fire, heat, or water. They may have been contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet because the wiring may be damaged.
- Do not send garments to your standard dry cleaner as improper cleaning may allow smoke odor to set.
Regardless of the Fire Damage, SERVPRO Can Help
Wildfire damage knows no bounds and can cause widespread damage, so it is vital to contact a company you can trust to step up to the plate. Regardless of the extent of the damage, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa can handle any size disaster. Our Disaster Recovery Team will respond quickly with additional resources during catastrophic events like the wildfires in California.
Why Commercial Cleaning is Important for Your Santa Rosa Business
Commercial Cleaning is Essential to Your Business
Consider this: How many hours a week do you and your employees spend at work? At least 40 hours, maybe more, therefore your office is essentially your second home. You would not want to be surrounded by filth in your home, so you should not have to live in it at your place of work. Commercial cleaning provides a wide range of benefits that will help you, your office, and your employees.
Maintaining professional commercial cleaning from an expert like SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa is essential. Listed below are a few benefits of prioritizing workplace cleanliness:
A Positive, Professional Appearance
If your business is in disarray, it leads to assumptions that it is unprofessional. Water-stained walls, dirty carpets, unkempt furniture and machinery, and dusty light fixtures can turn away potential customers and clients because of the idea that you are not a professional business. By simply scheduling commercial cleaning regularly, it can help address this issue before it even starts.
Improve Employee Productivity
The bottom line is that a clean workplace is a more productive workplace. A clean office environment can encourage your employees to be more productive and perform their duties to the best of their ability. Providing a clean workplace through advanced cleaning services can push employees to take pride in what they do.
Reduce Amount of Sick Days
Having a hygienic and germ-free workplace environment serves to reduce the number of illnesses spread around the office. As a byproduct, your employees will have fewer days off sick. A reduced number of sick days means your employees can focus on their daily tasks, bringing more revenue into your business.
Higher Quality Clean
When looking for a professional commercial cleaning service, determine the extent of the services provided. Not all commercial cleaning services are equal in terms of the level of service they perform. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa carry out a deep cleaning to your commercial property for improved maintenance, cleaner air, and a spotless appearance. SERVPRO Professionals offer a broad scope of cleaning services, including:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls
- Document Restoration
- Drapes and Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa can help with all your commercial cleaning needs. When there is no time to worry about the everyday wear and tear that gradually tarnishes your office, we will make it "Like it never even happened." When grime, odor, and moisture issues go far beyond a standard janitorial service, call in SERVPRO. Ranging from removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO to ensure your commercial property is the highest standard of clean.
Call Us Today - (707) 588-8226